The site was originally purchased by the Dutch from the Native American Indians in 1626. In the 1680s, the Dissosway and Cole families took ownership of the property. In 1772, Tthe Dissosway Grist Mill became the first known commercial establishment in the area. In 1870, coal and lumber businesses were established at the end of Richmond Valley Road along the waterfront. The property was the hub for commercial and manufacturing for more than 200 years. The site currently sits vacant, except for the historic Cole House. The Project preserve the Cole House for use as a restaurant on the ground floor and office space on the second floor.